Wondering what to buy for your first apartment? Here’s a first apartment checklist of all of the essentials you will need for your first place.
Settling into your first apartment can be a bit tricky because there are a lot of things that you need to think about. And unless you’ve found an apartment that is fully furnished, you’re going to need to have furniture and supplies on hand.
Luckily, with a little bit of planning, you can easily prepare for your first apartment with little to no headaches. Once you start figuring out what you’ll need, you’ll be able to start planning for your first apartment even more!
First Apartment Essentials Checklist: What You Need To Buy
How can I furnish my apartment cheap?
Most people are moving into a new apartment where they don’t have anything. Things like furniture and bedding just don’t exist unless they’re bringing their own. What this means is that you’ll have to find a way to furnish your apartment cheaply and the best way to do this is to check with family and friends, people selling online, or even at a local second-hand store.
Just be a bit picky about what you buy as you want to try things that are clean and a good fit for your new apartment.
How do I furnish my first apartment on a budget?
Everyone is on a budget but what matters is what your budget is. If you are looking for ways to furnish your apartment on a budget, you can easily make that happen. All you need to do is know your budget and then look around for furniture that falls within that budget.
You can find couches and chairs that are used and in good shape that other people are wanting to sell to move out of their house. The more that you look, the better prices that you’re going to find.
Furniture and supplies checklist for your first apartment
Do you know what furniture and supplies that you need for your first apartment? If not, don’t fret! This list below will give you a great idea of what you can expect to need to have to furnish your new apartment.
Bedroom Supplies For Your First Apartment
- You need to have a great bed that you can rest easy on so that you can prepare for the day and do your best.
- Mattress Frame
- Having a bed and other bedroom furniture is a must in your new apartment.
- Side Table
- You’ll need something to put your phone or alarm on
- For all your clothes
- To hang your nice stuff in the closet
- Shoe Rack
- To keep your shoes organized and not in a pile
- Laundry Hamper
- To collect your dirty clothes
- Iron and Ironing Board
- To smooth out any wrinkles from your nice clothes
- For your side table so you don’t have to turn on the all the lights in the middle of the night
- To get as much sleep as possible, you might want some blackout curtains or blinds
- For your OOTD
Living Room For Your First Apartment
If you plan on having guests, you’re going to want to be certain that you have living room furniture for people to sit on when they visit.
- Couch and/or chairs
- A comfortable one that cleans easily is a great starter sofa
- Coffee Table
- To set down drinks or the remote
- TV stand
- even if you choose to mount your TV, a TV stand is great for storage of any movies or gaming systems
- to entertain, of course.
Bathroom Supplies For Your First Apartment
A bathroom definitely has some essentials that need to be in there.
- Hand towels
- Body Soap
- Toothbrush Holder
- Feminine Supplies*
- Cotton Balls
- Toilet Paper
- Shower Curtain
- Bath Mat
- Hair Dryer
Kitchen and Dining Supplies For Your First Apartment
Stocking your kitchen is a must! After all, it’s the place in apartments where most people spend their time.
- Cutting Board
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- Cooking Utensils
- Pots and Pans
- Microwave if your place doesn’t come with one
- Tupperware/Food Storage Containers
- Crock Pot/Slow Cooker
- Coffee/Tea Maker
- Dining Room Table
- Spices and Pantry Supplies
- Dish Drainer
- Paper Towels
- Sandwich or Freezer Bags
- Can Opener
- Bottle Opener
- Oven Mitts
- Chip Clips
- Kitchen Towels
Cleaning Supplies For Your First Apartment
Along with kitchen appliances, you’re going to want to be certain that you have basic cleaning supplies a well.
- Dishwasher detergent
- Dish soap
- Floor Cleaner
- Multi-Surface Cleaner
- Toilet Bowl Brush
- Toilet Bowl Cleaner
- Rubber Gloves
Other Supplies To Have For Your First Apartment
Since you’re moving to a new place, you need to be certain that you have everything on hand that you’ll need.
- Surge Protectors/ Power Strips
- Extension Cords
- Basic Tools
- First Aid Kit
- Step Stool
- Trash Bags
- Trash Cans
- Laundry Detergent
- Dryer Sheets
- Air Freshener
- Disinfectant Spray
- Hand Sanitizer
- Basic Office Supplies
- Space Heater
- Storage Solutions
- Decor to make it your home!
Above everything, have a notepad on hand so that you can write down and keep track of things that you need to buy. More than likely you’ll realize a handful of things that you want to have in your new apartment so write them down right away so you don’t forget them!
Once you have your list, you can figure out how to incorporate all the other supplies that you need.
- Apartment Hunting Tips: 10 Things To Look For In Your First Place
- First Apartment Checklist: 7 Tips For Moving Into Your First Place
- The Nice-To-Haves Vs Need-To-Haves For Your Dorm Room